- 1 Accounting Overview
- 2 Accounting Focus Group
- 3 Accounting Issues
- 4 Accounting Topics
- 5 Archive of Forum Discussions
- 6 Online Accounting Resource
Accounting is a major and highly integrated component of the Adempiere solution. Accounting issues are complicated by a range of national & international legal and statutory requirements and business practice issues.
The Accounting pages documents how Adempiere Professionals have developed and adapted techniques to meet these requirements.
The Accounting pages are currently maintained by Michael Judd (except where pages are explicitly maintained by other people). I have proposed that the Adempiere community form an Accounting Focus Group who, when formed, will undertake the responsibility of channeling all Accounting knowledge about Adempiere, and maintain these pages in the future.
Accounting Focus Group
The Accounting Focus Group (AFG) is a voluntary group of people who focus on the challenges presented by all facets of accounting including financial controls, financial reporting, management reporting, costing and other regulatory requirements.
The group acts as a central hub for knowledge excellence in Adempiere.
The AFG's role is to:
- act as the champion and knowledge custodian for the Adempiere Accounting subject area
- provide domain expertise on any Accounting issues raised by the community
- consider how Accounting issues impact and relate to different jurisdictions
- propose and document Accounting best practice
- interface with the development team to facilitate the integration of work in to the ongoing development of the accounting facets of Adempiere.
Currently, nominations are sought for people to serve on the AFG. You do not have to be an accountant - we value diversity and are bonded by a common interest.
It is proposed that the group meet monthly by IRC and then informally as required.
The meetings are currently scheduled on Fridays at 0700 GMT (0800 BST) on the irc channel #adempiere-team. All interested parties are welcome to attend.
List yourself below if you wish to participate as a member of the AFG firstname.lastname@example.org
AFG Meeting Agendas
AFG Meeting Minutes
AFG Minutes 20-07-2007 - Minutes and irc log
At the Berlin Conference, Michael Judd facilitated a workshop considering the various aspects of Accounting and how Adempiere satisfied these areas. The workshop was able to identify some areas where Adempiere's Accounting functionality could be strengthened and the community recognised the need to address these in the following priority:
- VAT/IntraStat - Hot
- Costing - Hot
- Reporting/Tracing Journals - Hot
- Cost center - Warm
- Ad-Hoc Reporting - Warm
- Budgetting - Warm
- Forecasting - Warm
- Multi Accounting schemas - Warm
- Accounting standards - Cold
- Triple Bottom Line - Cold
- Custom exports/imports - Future
It is proposed that these items are adopted as the AFG's priorities
Other issues & suggestions include:
- add a "legal entity" flag to org group so that you can create legal entity types subsidiary, joint venture, holding company, etc as a legal entity and department etc
- add a org currency to the acct_fact - need to assess limitations in accounting schemas
- support for the "Retail Method" of costing
- support for 'Cost Centers' as a different dimension than Organization
- Adoption of IFRS as the standard for Adempiere (with documentation of local variations)
- Review of IFRS and it's implementation and documentation in Adempiere
- Certification of the Accounting Engine
- IAS2 says that the costing method should be consistent in the product group but could be different for different product groups (within organisations) - so we should move the costing method out of the accounting schema and against the product group.
- add a sequence for each posting in the fact_acct table (i.e. every journal (perhaps AD_Table_ID and AD_Record_ID combination))
- Move business logic to server (using proxy classes in the client) to allow for automated testing of the accounting engine. (It was suggested that this has probably been done in the WebService work demonstrated at the Berlin conference)
Accounting issues are classified under the following subject areas:
- Accounting HowTO
- Accounting FAQ
- Chart of Accounts
- Inter Company / Group Accounting
- Adempiere Accounting Schemas (Support for multiple countries / multiple Gaap multiple currency reporting)
- Setting-up Opening Balances
- Accounting Kernel Certification
- International Financial Reporting Standards / International Accounting Standards
Statutory & Regulatory Issues
Accounting Engine & Technical Issues
- Creating a Document with Accounting Consequences
- Document Accounting Consequences
- Default Accounts Usage
- Post accounting without a server running
Archive of Forum Discussions
The following shall be a linked list of good accounting discussions from SourceForge Forums that has notable educational content. Please edit this from time to time.
Online Accounting Resource
- Accounting Coach is free for non-accounting people.